Sunday, July 28, 2013

All is a Flutter


I didn't want to begin this entry with an apology but when I realize how long it's been since I've updated, I believe an apology is necessary. So, sorry about that...we're back and I have lots to share about picture books and ways to use them.

Summer is the time I look forward to attending a workshop hosted by the Monarch Teacher Network of Canada (www.monarchteacher.ca). I've been attending these workshops for years and, although the workshop is similar each time, I leave these workshops in awe of these magnificent creatures. I also come out with an armload of ways to incorporate using monarch butterfly concepts in my teaching. I can't wait for our new teacher candidates to begin their pre-service year next month. I've ordered a Monarch Butterfly Rearing Kit (www.cambridgebutterfly.com/conservatory/monarch-rearing-kits) from the Cambridge Butterfly Conservatory so that both the butterflies and my students can experience a truly remarkable metamorphosis this year! Workshops go on every summer and are worth their weight in gold!

There are many books that deal with butterflies, both fiction and non-fiction. Many butterfly stories also have a message - we associate butterflies and metamorphosis with concepts like change, hope, freedom, purity, beauty, love, rebirth and our departed souls. In terms of teaching a science unit on life cycles butterflies  are easily accessible and undergo complete metamorphosis during their life cycle in that there are four stages of development (egg, larva, pupa and adult). They appear to be very close and appearance and behaviour to moths but most children will quickly learn the key ways to differentiate a moth from butterfly and a cocoon from a chrysalis. Children are fascinated by these beautiful insects and often are keen to befriend a caterpillar or be kissed by a butterfly. Below are some exceptional examples of great titles to begin with butterflies in your classroom this fall! We have a more complete book list that can be accessed by clicking here!

Click on a title below for more information and happy browsing!

Cover image for Butterfly Is Patient      Cover image for Caterpillars   Cover image for Gotta Go! Gotta Go!        Cover image for Bird, Butterfly, Eel

No comments:

Post a Comment